Read in your language:

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Double-boiled Ling Yang (Antelope Horn)

Both the boy and I has been heaty for quite a while, even though we don't consume much meat. Perhaps it has more to do with the lack of water and the stiffling heat. It's so hot that the air is stagnant, the fan produces warm air, and I'm sweating while I'm typing this. I even get woken up in the middle of the night by an itchy throat demanding to be soothed, and wake up the next morning with a mouth as dry as parchment. I'm losing so much water through my skin that my lips have started to peel! Apparently other people are feeling sauna-ed in their rooms as well.

This isn't the best way to deal with the heat, but I wanted a quick fix. Ready packaged for just $5.

Double-boiled Ling Yang
Double-boiled Ling Yang
Ling yang, or antelope horn, is usually taken whenever I have a fever. Besides dispelling heat, it is also said to improve vision. It is conveniently packed with Ophiopogon japonicus and juncus effusus. Both serves to dissipate heat, the former also soothes irritability, and aids in alleviating dry mouth.

Boil the contents in 2 cups of water until reduced by half. Top up with more water and boil for a further 20 minutes or so. The liquid is medium yellowish in color. It doesn't have much of a taste by itself but a handful of wintermelon strips will make a wonderful drink. Even the boy likes it. Better when cold.

Double-boiled Ling Yang

No comments: